Posted by Sunil K. Kotagiri
According to IDC MSSP Survey 2018, global Managed Security Services revenue will grow to 32 Billion USD by 2022 from 22B in 2018 with 10.2% Cumulative Annual Growth Rate (CAGR). As a Managed Security Service Provider (MSSP), are you well positioned to reap the benefits of this tremendous growth opportunity or still holding on to age-old technology stack and methods that is holding your true potential?
Trends in Cybersecurity
Here are most important Cybersecurity trends that are keeping Enterprise Chief Information Security Officers (CISO) up at night and are fueling the growth of Managed Security Services business:
- Sophistication of Cyber Miscreants growing rapidly. Criminals are leveraging most advanced Artificial Intelligence techniques to identify the easy-to-attack and most vulnerable Enterprises. If your detection and protection methods are still stuck in log and rule based methods, you are no longer safe.
- Proliferation of security tool sets and silos, collectively generate over 100 thousand alerts per day, with major percentage of being false positives.
- Growing Number of Devices and Environments to protect as enterprises are embracing cloud, mobile-first technologies.
- Death of Perimeter as we know it, as employees are more global and mobile and enterprises embracing SaaS (Software as a Service) applications.
- Scarcity of qualified information security professionals. According to Cybersecurity Ventures 2018 report, there will be more 3.5 Million unfilled Cybersecurity jobs globally by 2021.
- Continued growth of Compliance regulations. Privacy and security protection laws are becoming stricter and violation fines levied are growing rapidly.
- Cybercrime as a Service is making it easy for criminals to launch cyber attacks on organizations and individuals with little effort and knowledge.
How Managed Security Services (MSS) offered today?
Most of the Managed Security Service offerings today, including those offered by very large providers, predicated on the following:
- Log Management: Involving Monitoring, Scanning and Alerting
- Heavy Manual process for Alert/Event investigation with additional retainer fees per incident.
- Defined Network Perimeter that doesn’t consider today’s changing infrastructure
Challenges with the Traditional Model
The traditional model may have worked when organizations have defined perimeter, limited applications, simple network infrastructure and endpoints. However, it breaks completely with today’s rapidly evolving enterprises that are undergoing digital transformations and the increased sophistication of cybercriminals. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Broader attack surface that comprises of not only firewalls, but also SaaS/Cloud infrastructure, Mobile endpoints, email phishing and global workforce.
- Increased volume of data to manage that require Big Data Storage and Analytics
- Increased volume of known & unknown threats with more than 100M new malware discovered every year. Static Rule and signature based methods no longer work.
- Manual processes no longer efficient for Alert/Event correlation & investigation with hundreds of thousands of security alerts per day reported by multitude of applications.
Next Generation Managed Security Services (MSSP 2.0)
To address evolving enterprise Cybersecurity needs and their demands, MSSPs have recognized need to shift their strategy to:
- Move focus from Alert Notification to Response and Remediation (MDR)
- Moving from Reactive to Proactive Security (AI Assisted SOC)
- Move to more value added services for managing the risk and compliance (Continuous Compliance) vs. just focusing on log aggregation, monitoring and alerting.
And this MSSP 2.0 shift is not only driven to cope with evolving cybersecurity trends, but also are largely driven by:
- Enterprise Digital Transformation
- New IT Architectures
- Cloud & Hybrid-Cloud infrastructures
- New Technology Adoption
aiMSSP: Enabling MSSP 2.0 Shift with aiSIEM, aiMDR and aiSOC
Seceon aiMSSPTM is modern, advanced and fully automated end-to-end multi-tenant platform that is built from ground up to enable service providers to fully embrace MSSP 2.0 shift.
aiMSSPTM combines the power of our award winging aiSIEMTM with Multi-Tier, Multi-Tenancy functionality allowing MSSPs to custom package tiers of modern MSS and MDR services to Large, Medium and Small Enterprises and businesses. With integrated, SIEM (Security Information and Event Management), automatic threat detection, containment and remediation, Service providers enjoy the benefits of most advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI) assisted Security Operation Center (aiSOCTM), with improved efficiency and effectiveness.
Seceon aiMSSPTM Technology stack offers MSSPs following differentiated capabilities demanded by new age enterprises compared to the traditional stack:
- Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data and Analytics
- User Behavioral Analytics
- Real-time Threat Intelligence
- Automatic Threat Analysis and Correlation
- Proactive Threat Detection and Hunting
- Netflow Analysis
By embracing aiMSSPTM platform, MSSPs will enjoy the following key benefits:
- Multi-Tier Multi-Tenancy, supports service providers to with shared services technology stack offering end-to-end data separation, threat detection and response, and accelerates revenue generation from new customers. The robust multi-tenancy with multi-tier capability allows MSSPs grow in size quickly and become Master MSSPs.
- An end-to-end Artificial Intelligence driven Managed Detection and Response (aiMDRTM) stack in a single platform. Eliminating need to integrate multitude of products to deliver MDR service, powering MSSPs to have fully functional MDR stack up and running in days rather than months and years so they can focus on revenue generation activity rather than spending on Research and Development (R&D)
- With automatic threat detection & correlation through Seceon’s innovating dynamic threat models, and automated threat containment and elimination, MSSPs will have AI assisted SOC (aiSOCTM) working for them 24/7.
Comparing Traditional MSSP stacks with aiMSSPTM Platform:
Here is brief comparison of features and benefits offered by aiMSSP platform and how differs from the traditional MSSP stack: